Smoked Pork Chops
The trick to a juicy pork chop is brining. The trick to an amazing pork chop is using Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning, a few hours of smoke and a finishing sear to sizzle up the fat cap.
- 2 x double cut pork chops, about 1.5lb each
- For the brine: 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 gallon cold water
- 3-4 tablespoons Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning
- For the spritz: 1 cup water, 1/4 cup cider vinegar
Equipment needed - a fast read digital thermometer.
- Make the brine. Put sugar, salt and a cup of water in a small pan. Dissolve over low heat stirring frequently. Allow to cool, then add remaining water. Submerge pork chops in the brine and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat a smoker, pellet grill or indirect heat grill to 250f.
- Drain the brine, the dry each pork chop well with paper towel. Season generously with Hardcore Carnivore Red rub.
- Place the chops into the smoker and cook until internal temp reaches 135f, about 1-2 hours. Spray the pork chops with the water/cider mixture every 20 minutes during the cook. If you do not plan to sear the chops to finish, only take them out when they reach 140-145f.
- Remove the pork chops and cover with foil to rest.
- Heat a grill to high heat (500f+) to sear the chops. Place the chops meat side down, about 1-2 minutes, then flip and sear the opposite side. Finish by searing the fat cap side for 1-2 minutes, but do not burn.
- Serve immediately.