Perfectly Medium Rare Smoked Tri Tip
This phenomenal steak becomes even more incredible when paired with Hardcore Carnivore Black and some smoke.
- 1.5-2.5lb tri tip roast
- 3-4 tablespoons Hardcore Carnivore Black seasoning
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Heat a smoker to 250-275f.
- If the tri tip still has a fat cap attached, trim use a fillet knife to trim it all off and expose the meat.
- Coat the meat thoroughly with the Hardcore Carnivore Black seasoning, then place into a smoker.
- In a spray bottle, combine vinegar and water. Spritz the tri tip every 15-20 minutes during the cook.
- Cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 136-138f . This should take about 1-2 hours (but start checking it after 45 minutes just in case), depending on the size of the tri tip. We use and recommend Thermowork's Smoke or Thermapen units to monitor temperature.
- Once at the right internal temp, remove from smoker and wrap tightly in foil, then place into a (warm) cooler to rest for 30-45 minutes. It will remain hot.
- Slice against the grain to serve. We prefer to eat ours in small chunks, rather than slices.