Smoked Chicken Halves with Hardcore Carnivore Red Seasoning
A lemon brine helps keeps this smoked chicken super juicy while Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning creates an epic crust and color.
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 whole lemons
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons Hardcore Carnivore Red
- 1-2 tablespoon Hardcore Carnivore Amplify
Extra equipment: you will need a digital or probe thermometer to check for safe finished temperature.
- Start by making a brine. Combine salt, brown sugar, soy and 1-2 cups of the water in a small pan. Stir over low heat until the sugar and salt dissolve, then allow to cool. Pour the cooled mixture into the remaining water. Cut the lemons in half, and squeeze the juice into the water. Throw the spent lemons into the brine, too.
- Prepare the chicken - kitchen shears are the best tool to cut it in half. Cut along the breastbone, then flip it over and cut on either side of the spine to create two halves. Throw away the spine.
- Pour the brine into a large container, add the chicken halves then cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Preheat a smoker or pellet grill to 250f.
- Remove chicken from brine and rinse well under cold water. Pat dry using paper towel.
- Season chicken halves on both sides using the Hardcore Carnivore Red, concentrating most of the seasoning on the top side. Sprinkle Hardcore Carnivore Amplify over the top/breast side. Let halves sit so the seasoning can 'stick', around 15-20 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the smoker breast side up and cook until an instant read thermometer reads 165f at the thickest part of the thigh. This will take around 2.5-3 hours.
- Remove from smoker, rest for 10 minutes under loosely tented foil, then serve.