Smoked Picanha with Hardcore Carnivore Black
Also known as Top Sirloin, this Brazilian cut tastes incredible when smoked to medium rare.
- 2.5-3lb picanha
- 3 tablespoons Hardcore Carnivore Black seasoning
- Heat a smoker to 250f.
- The picanha will likely come with a thick fat cap still on it, so use a fillet knife to trim it all off. While it's ok to grill this cap, there is a small layer of silverskin underneath the fat that does not render properly in the smoker, and tightens up during cooking.
- Coat the meat with the Hardcore Carnivore Black seasoning, then place into a smoker.
- Cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 136-138f . This should take about 1-2 hours, depending on the size of the picanha. We use and recommend Thermowork's Smoke or Thermapen units to monitor temperature.
- Once at the right internal temp, remove from smoker and wrap tightly in foil, then place into a (non-cold) cooler to rest for 30-45 minutes. It will remain hot.
- Slice against the grain to serve. We prefer to eat ours in small chunks, rather than slices.